Stroke Organisations | Community support for people with stroke, and their families

Stroke Associations

VIC - Stroke Association of Victoria
(03) 9670 1117 

ACT - Stroke Association of ACT
(02) 6269 2636

NSW - Stroke Recovery Association of NSW
1300 650 594 (toll free)
(02) 9807 6422

Aphasia NSW
An organisation for people with aphasia, their families and friends.  See

SA - Stroke SA Inc 
(08) 8373 0570
WA - Neurological Council of WA
The Neurological Council of WA works and partners with neurological groups to support people with neurological symptoms or conditions.
08) 1800 645 771

MSWA provides vital support and services to people living with all neurological conditions in Western Australia. 
(08) 6454 3222

Stroke Organisations

Australian Physiotherapy Association 
National body for the physiotherapy profession in Australia. Phone: 03 9534 9400

Australian Red Cross 
Services such as respite care and Telcross support line for people living alone or with a disability. 
Phone: 1800 246 850

Carers Australia 
Provide information and support to carers. 
Ph: (02) 6122 9900 (National office)
Ph: 1800 242 636 (Carer resource centre)

Carers Australia has representative organisations in each state dedicated to improving the lives of carers through support and information. 

CareLink centres provide free information on aged care and disability. Phone: 1800 052 222 

Carer Respite Centres
Provides information on respite accommodation facilities for those with a disability. Freecall 1800 059 059

Caring has many direct and hidden financial costs, which stretch the budget. Financial assistance is often available.
Ph: 13 2300
Ph: 132 717 (Disability, sickness, and carers)
Ph: 132 300 (Retirement services)

Commonwealth Carer Resource Centre
The Commonwealth Carer Resource Centre provides referral to services and practical written information to support people who are carers. Phone: 1800 242 636.

Continence Foundation of Australia 
Offers information and advice to families, carers and health professionals. Phone: 1800 33 00 66

COTA National Seniors 
An independent organisation run by and for older Australians. Phone 03 9820 2655 (national office) 

Diabetes Australia 
Representing people with diabetes, health professionals and researchers and has local offices in each state. 
Phone: 1300 136 588

Home and Community Care Services (HACC)
In most cases, prior to leaving hospital your social worker will have talked toyou and your family/carer about what services can be arranged for you when you first get home. Phone: 1800 052 222, or the Aged and Community Care Information Line on 1800 500 853

Medic Alert 
Provides services to ensure families are notified in a medical emergency and doctors have access to medical history. 
Phone: 1800 88 2222

National Heart Foundation 
Australia's heart health charity that carries out life-saving work in order to reduce the suffering caused by cardiovascular disease Phone: 1300 362 787 

National Legal Aid 
There are a number of legal arrangements you may wish to make for the future. There is a Legal Aid Commission in each state and territory of Australia.

Occupational Therapy Australia 
National body for the occupational therapy profession in Australia. Phone: 1300 682 878

Provides advice and other assistance to smokers who want to kick the habit. Phone: 131 848 

Relationships Australia 
A stroke can cause many changes to relationships. Relationships Australia (RA) is Australia's leading provider of professional services to support relationships. Phone: 1300 364 277

Speech Pathology Australia 
The national body for the speech pathology profession in Australia. Phone: 03 9642 4899 

Strokekidz formed to provide peer support for children and families affected by stroke. 

Stroke and Disability Information (Hunter) Inc. (SADI) 
SADI provides education, information, support and advocacy to reduce the incidence of stroke and minimise the physical, social and emotional impact Stroke and other disabilities have on clients, their carers and the wider community.

Vision Australia 
Provides information and services for the visually impaired. Phone: 1800 331 000


Community support for people with stroke, and their families

Beyond Blue
Ph: 1300 224 636
Information on depression, anxiety and related drug and alcohol problems, available treatments and where to get help.

CRS Australia
Ph: 1800 277 277
Provides services to help people with disability return to work.

Legal Aid Commission
Ph: See ‘legal aid’ in phonebook for local office
Offices in each state and territory providing assistance with legal matters.

Local Council
Ph: See ‘local council’ in phonebook for local office
Provides list of Council services, Community Directory, Investing and Living in the local area in Victoria

National Stroke Foundation
Ph: 1800 787 653 
The National Stroke Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation that works with the public, government, health professionals, patients, carers and stroke survivors to reduce the impact of stroke on the Australian community. Information about stroke is available on the web site, and information kits about stroke can be ordered by telephone.