Stroke Management Workshops for Australian and New Zealand Basic Medical Trainees
Organizer: A/Professor Bernard Yan
Academic Faculty: Prof. Chris Levi, A/Prof. Mark Parsons, Dr. Martin Jude, Dr. Andrew Lee, Dr. Bruce Campbell, Prof. Alan Barber, Dr. David Blacker, Dr. Jonathan Sturm, Prof. Chris Bladin
• The in-patient management of stroke is complex and requires the critical input of physicians with a special interest in stroke medicine. However, the aging population and consequent increasing number of acute stroke hospital admissions have outpaced the current recruitment of basic medical trainees into stroke medicine specialization. It is of significant concern that the current number of stroke physicians will increasingly struggle to meet the burgeoning demand for stroke care.
• One solution is to galvanize interest in stroke medicine in Basic Medical Trainees. In time, it is envisaged that the trainees will pursue a career in stroke medicine.
• The establishment of the Stroke Society of Australasia (SSA) Stroke Management Workshops for Basic Medical Trainees is designed to up-skill stroke management and with the view to meet the pressing need for an increasing shortage of stroke physicians.
• This program has been endorsed jointly by SSA, The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) and the Australian and New Zealand Association of Neurologists (ANZAN).
• In 2012, 3 workshops have been successfully held:
- April 2012: John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle (workshop leader: Chris Levi)
- August 2012: Adelaide (workshop leader: Andrew Lee)
- November 2012: Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria (workshop leader: Bernard Yan)
• In 2013, 1 workshop so far has been held:
- Feb 2013: Perth (workshop leader: David Blacker)
• April 2012 John Hunter Hospital survey results:
- Basic physician trainee: confidence in decision for thrombolysis (tPA) increased from 18% (pre-workshop) to 46% (post-workshop)
Planning for 2013:
• April 2013: Royal Brisbane Hospital (workshop leaders: Nisal Gange, Rohan Grimley)
• Frequency of workshops: 1 workshop per quarter = 4 workshops in 12 months
• Duration of workshop: Half day ~ 4 hours
• Structure of workshop:
- i. Common and uncommon presentations of stroke and mimics
- ii. Neuroimaging for stroke
- iii. Acute management of stroke: thrombolysis and beyond
• Tutors: Stroke Physicians (Neurologists, Geriatricians and Rehabilitation physicians)
(Workshop Tutors: Dr. Bruce Campbell, A/Professor Mark Parsons, A/Professor Bernard Yan, Dr. Andrew Lee, A/Professor Jon Sturm, Professor Chris Levi)